Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Artist Inspiration- Scott Campbell


Scott Campbell is a tattoo artist from Louisiana, who is quickly becoming one of the "brightest new voices in the New York art scene." He originally studied to become a biochemist but chose to follow a career in tattooing instead. But his real talent lies in his work on mediums other than the skin. He has only been showing in galleries for a few years, but is already being highly acclaimed by fine art communities all over the world. 
I'm so glad that I stumbled upon Campbell's work, as I find it fascinating! I admire his choice of mediums and the attention to detail he puts into everything he creates- cutting US currency with lasers to create intricate sculptures,drawing with graphite on delicate eggshells, working with holograms and light installations, and even burning images onto tortilla bread!
His work is relevant to my project at the moment, as I've been looking at ways to include recognisable tattoo images into my work without simply showing them on the skin (as we are used to seeing them). Campbell creates a whole new environment for his tattoo imagery and takes them out of context.

Short video of one of Campbell's pieces: http://vimeo.com/47955880








No comments:

Post a Comment